Join the City of San Antonio World Heritage Office
for a two-day Dia de los Muertos celebration!
Sunday, November 1, 2020
Dia de los Muertos: Celebrando Las Misiones
Watch Online: Facebook and YouTube
This year, Mission Marquee Plaza's
third annual celebration commemorates Mission San Jose's 300th anniversary with an online virtual program. Learn the history, symbolism and traditions of Dia de los Muertos with:
- Discussion on pan de muerto
- Demonstration on how to make a sugar skull
- Altars by Mission San Jose descendant families
- Music and dance performances
- Outdoor art exhibit featuring works by San Antonio artists (available at Mission Marquee Plaza November 1-December 31 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. Guests are encouraged to practice social distancing and wear face coverings.
- Introduction by author Dr. Carmen Tafolla
- Cooking demonstration on how to prepare tamales
- An opportunity to travel virtual to other UNESCO Creative Cities of Gastronomy (Ensenada, Mexico; Merida, Mexico; and Belo Horizonte, Brazil) to learn about their culinary traditions for Dia de los Muertos.