The Alamo Church
Visitors are often surprised to find the 4.2-acre Alamo compound in the center of an active and vibrant downtown. Upon entering the Alamo Church, part of the original Spanish mission, you’ll find a reverent space that honors the 189 men who gave their lives in battle for Texas liberty on March 6, 1836.
The Long Barrack Museum
The Long Barrack is one of two remaining buildings from the original mission. Formerly a convento, or residence for the missionaries, the Long Barrack is now a museum dedicated to the 300 year history of the Alamo.
Living History Encampment
Alamo Living History staff provide live history demonstrations for visitors daily. These demonstrations include period impressions, firing demonstrations, fire starting, textiles, leather working, and more.
The Convento Courtyard
Near the Long Barrack museum is the Convento Courtyard, which features a water well. The well itself is believed to date to the mission period; the structure surrounding it was likely built in the late 1930s.
The Wall of History
Exit the Church and view the Wall of History, an outdoor exhibit which provides a historic overview of the Alamo’s 300-year history.
This waterway designates the remains of the irrigation system called an acequia, which brought water to the complex from the San Antonio River during the Spanish colonial period.
Special Exhibition Hall
In 2017, the Alamo presents a new exhibition exploring the life of legendary Alamo defender James Bowie and his famous knife. The exhibit is free to the public in the Alamo’s Special Exhibition Hall.
The Gift Shop
The Alamo Gift Shop is housed in a building constructed in 1937. Often mistaken as part of the original Alamo compound, the structure was built as one of nine Texas Centennial Museums honoring the 100th anniversary of Texas independence and was dedicated in 1938.
The Alamo Cenotaph is located in Alamo Plaza in front of the Church and Long Barrack. Built in 1939 by the Texas Centennial Commission, the Cenotaph serves as a memorial to the men who lost their lives in the 1836 battle.